Re: List of FTBFS in Ubuntu

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 10:16:03AM -0200, Fernando Lemos wrote:
> Hi Lucas,
>
> Thanks for generating this list.
>
> 2010/12/3 Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net>:
> > Fernando Tarlá Cardoso Lemos <fernandotcl@gmail.com>
> >   btag
>
> This is not a bug in btag. The problem is that binutils-gold (used by
> Ubuntu) breaks every program that uses Boost (among other C++
> libraries):

> binutils-gold needs to support --add-needed and preferably make that
> the default behavior, otherwise there will be lots of false positives
> like this. I personally don't intend to work around it unless
> binutils-gold support becomes mandatory for Debian (which hopefully
> won't happen until binutils-gold is fixed).

This is a bug in your package, unfortunately.  While it might appear
that you only use boost_system /indirectly/, your code is in fact
using it /directly/ via inline functions in the boost_filesystem
headers.  You can see this for yourself if you take a close look
at the boost_filesystem headers.

While I do find this a rather annoying violation of encapsulation,
you will find (e.g. with "nm -C -D") your binary will have
boost::system symbols in it which are only satisfied indirectly
via libboost_filesystem and which would result in breakage if
libboost_filesystem drops that dependency and you don't explicitly
link against it.  Ideally, the headers should be fixed.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh