Re: Notification escape sequences

]] Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

Hi,

| On Thu, 02 Dec 2010, Thomas Thurman wrote:
| > I am proposing an escape sequence which, when transmitted over SSH
| > or telnet, requests the client to display a desktop notification.  I
| > have written up a description, with some example code, at
|
| If you're going to do something this insecure, just use wall/rwall.  Why
| reinvent the wheel?
|
| And teach gnome to display it as a notification if it cannot do that already
| (KDE4 can, and does).

How would I get a remote host to write something to my workstation,
behind NAT and a firewall?

I think having this facility would be great, but the titlebar bugs we
saw some years ago showed us, again, that inline signalling is bad.  If
there's a way to do this as an out-of-band signal, I'd be all for it.

As for those who say «you can be DoS-ed», well, you already can, if
there's a rougue application it can send you loads of data, it can force
titlebar changes all the time, etc.

cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen