Re: Full install/removal/upgrade test results available

On 19/11/2010 12:29, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> xfce4-mcs-manager recommends it.
> As APT has no indication that this package can go away it does the
> only right thing (TM): Chooses to keep xfce4-mcs-plugins as otherwise
> the user will lose functionality…
> (recommends are defined as installed on all, expect "unusual" systems,
>  so their value is very close to a depends for APT)

Except it's not. System would be perfectly usable with xfce4-mcs-plugin
and without xfce4-mcs-manager (it wouldn't make much sense, but still).
Preferring to ignore a Breaks: in order to keep a Recommends: satisfied
looks to me like the wrong thing to do, though I'm not fluent enough in
dependencies to be sure.

By the way, adding a Breaks: xfce4-mcs-manager in xfce4-settings doesn't
work either, apt will still prefer to hold xfce4-session and keep
xfce4-mcs-*.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis