Re: How to add dependencies that exist in another repository

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 19:57, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> > The packages for Debian there add a source.list.d file as you
>> > describe.  (And it really confused me until I figured out what it had
>>
>> Which begs the question: why do we even have source.list.d/ suport in
>> the first place (or, if it is really useful to other users of apt, why
>> is it enabled by default) ?
>
> Answering my own question: it was done in response to a valid request for an
> "include" directive for sources.list.
>
> See #66325, which asks for, and provides reasonable reasons for a "include"
> directive... but people got sources.list.d/ instead, which is a lot more
> difficult to keep wraps on.

Working with files is easier for a user (or an application working on request
for the user) to handle than modifying a single file to include/remove
specific sources entries - at least in my eyes.

And in comparison: what about e.g. /etc/ssl/certs ?

If you want to inject something, you can do it both ways - and after all
I can do a lot more in maintainer scripts than adding a sources.list entry,
so "mysteriously" added sources.list entries are not a disease
(or a misfeature of APT to allow it) but a symptom of the widespread
disease of trusting random packages from an unknown sources…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies (with his APT hat speaking)