Re: [RFC] disabled root account / distinct group for users with administrative privileges

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 12:38:41AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as some of you might know, the debian installer allows to install a system with
> a disabled root account, i.e. there is no root password set for root.
> In lenny, iirc, this was done via d-i pre-seeding, in squeeze it is as simple as
> leaving the root password prompt empty.
>
> The lenny installer then added the user, that was created during install, to
> /etc/sudoers to grant him administrative privileges.
>
> For squeeze we looked for a better way, especially as PolicyKit is becoming used
> by more and more packages and mangling the PolicyKit configuration didn't look
> like a sane alternative.
>
> The idea is, to have a distinct group. Members of that group have administrative
> privileges using sudo and PolicKit. The installer then simply has to add the

Fedora introduced desktop_admin_r for this in the polkit-destkop-polcy
package:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2009-August/msg00103.html

Imho we should use diffrent groups for PolicyKit and sudo. d-i would
need to add the user to two groups then but it would allow for polkit
and sudo only configurations:

If you only want to grant polkit based privileges remove the user from
the sudoers group and if you only want sudo based privileges remove it
from the desktop_admin_r group. This would allow administrators to only
care about one set of privileges which makes it easier to oversee the
consequences when adding more users to these groups.
Cheers,
 -- Guido