Re: Init dependency between nfs-kernel-server and name server

]] Petter Reinholdtsen

| [Tollef Fog Heen]
| > It seems quite inappropriate to limit this information to just a
| > single init system when we have more than one in Debian.  We should
| > strive to move that information into a init-agnostic place, and I
| > don't see why it would be wrong to just have the relevant init
| > scripts Provide the relevant facility.
|
| The simple issue is that this do not work with insserv, the first and
| as far as I have tested only system using the headers.

Sounds like a bug in insserv, then.

| I suspect that it would be better to list the provided virtual
| facilities in the scripts themselves, but believe it is a bad idea to
| do so until the LSB clearly state that this is the way that it should
| be done and insserv have been changed to handle it.

The LSB doesn't really talk about what non-LSB applications should do,
and no packages in Debian are LSB apps, so I suspect this is a matter of
us deciding something sensible and trying to make sure it's
compatible with what the other distros do and then run with that.

| I brought this topic up with the insserv upstream developers, but they
| believe it is a bad idea.

Did they provide any reasoning for this?

--
Tollef Fog Heen