Re: Backports service becoming official

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:29:46PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> > > I don't think so. Reporting bugs to a mailing list sounds like a hack
> > > when you can use the BTS.
> >
> > That's not the point, is it? From this discussion is clear that the long
> > term solution is to use the BTS, but also that as of now the needed
> > support is not in place. So you can't simply veto the alternative
> > solution—unless you volunteer to add the needed support in the BTS. The
> > whole point of this whole sub-thread was estimating when the support
> > will be in place and, according to that, decide whether we should try to
> > get the "hack" in Squeeze or not.
>
> So, until we can use the BTS to handle bugs reporting against backported
> packages, we have the following solutions:
> [A] continue to ask users to (manually) report bugs to a mailing list,
>     and avoid the use of reportbug. backporters have to subscribe to
>     that list.
> [B] add support in reportbug to report bugs against backported packages
>     to a mailing list instead of submit@bugs.d.o. backporters have to
>     subscribe to that list.
> [C] ask users to simply use reportbug, have bugs filed in the BTS,
>     possibly annoying maintainers that don't care about backports, since
>     the infrastructure for auto-detecting backported packages is not in
>     place. backporters have to subscribe to the package on the PTS.
[D] ask backporters to add something[1] in the backported packages so
that bugs are not sent to the BTS.

An advantage to the latter is that if the package maintainers are doing
the backports, they can skip that and get the bug reports in the BTS.

Mike

1. /usr/share/doc/reportbug/README.developers.gz says:
  Packages not distributed by Debian can take advantage of this utility too.
  They just need to add a "send-to" header to the control file
  /usr/share/bug/$package/control::

          Send-To: bugs.myproject.com

  ``reportbug`` will add ``submit@` ``quiet@`` or ``maintonly@`` to form the address the
  bug report mail is send to.

  (Note: you probably should use dpkg's support for Origin and Bugs tags
  in lieu of this support.)

Though I thought it was possible to give an email address instead of a
debbugs address.