Re: Buildd & binary-indep

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:44:39AM +0400, Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> There is one src-package which builds a few packages with architecture
> -all and -any. http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/wordnet.html
>
> If this package is built it  wants more than one gigabyte (~1.2-1.4G)
> RAM to build. So there are two buildd servers can't build
> *architecture:all* packages. So this package can't pass into testing
> for a long time (more than 120 days).

This raises the question why binary-indep targets are built when not needed.

> Does anybody have mipsel and (or) armel host (or virtual host)? Could
> anybody make an bin-NMU?

I see the normal compilation is a tiny fraction here, so a distcc or
scratchbox setup wouldn't help much, and the build system appears to have
no support for cross building.  Is preparing the wordnet data CPU or memory
bound? -- I get an impression that the latter.

If so, you could build it in qemu.  It is crippled CPU-wise: an unrelated
parallelized build that takes 5 minutes on a 4-core amd64 machine and an
hour on 1-core real armel (n900) lasts 8 hours on qemu-armel -- but you can
throw more memory at it.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be