Re: RFC: Rules for distro-friendly packages

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> schrieb:

> This and some of the other things that I said about pkg-config on this
> thread were way too strong, and I want to generally apologize to the
> mailing list readers and specifically to all the people who have been
> working on pkg-config.  I got defensive and annoyed for reasons that
> really weren't justified, and reacted by being very negative about
> software that didn't deserve it.

Forget about it. Maillists tend to raise such flames from time to time
(probably due limitations / awkward filtering effects of this medium,
especially when many people aren't native speakers of the used language).

> I'm still not convinced that I want to use pkg-config as part of the build
> process of my software, and there are a few things (like the ease of doing
> version comparisons instead of feature checks) that I don't particularly
> like about how it works, but it certainly has a place.

What exactly do you dislike at pkg-config ?

> It is, for example, a much better replacement for all the incompatible
> *-config scripts.

Indeed.

> The next releases of my various library packages will all ship pkg-config
> *.pc files.  I just pushed the deltas for remctl, since it was an easy
> initial testing case.

Very well. That's a good start :)

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666