Re: unstable/testing/[pending/frozen/]stable

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 07:31:45AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Then unstable/testing would roll further as usual
> How does a major, disruptive, transition get done?

I think his proposal boils down to this: we *always* have unstable and
testing to upload whatever we want and handle transitions when we like.
Then, parallel to unstable/testing, there would be the pending/frozen
suites to work on the release.
Saying it a bit differently, we would *also* already be working on
release+1 while release is being frozen. I kind of like the idea.

To give an example with package names, I would already upload iceweasel
3.6 to unstable, thus breaking all xulrunner-dev reverse dependencies
until they are fixed to use xulrunner 1.9.2, while keeping updates for
iceweasel 3.5 in pending/frozen. It would also allow me to push
iceweasel 4.0 betas to experimental, where they would be better suited
than their current location, where they are not even built on non

This could be more work, but I understand that for people who want to
do it, the testing freeze time is frustrating.

PS: for my personal needs, some way to get random packages autobuilt
would already be helpful (call that ppa if you want).