Re: RFC: Rules for distro-friendly packages

* Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> schrieb:

> > Wait a minute! Arbitrary _users_ should never try to rebuild anything
> > on a stable/production system. As soon as you're attempting that,
> > you're stepping into the package maintainer or developer role, and
> > then you should *know* what you're doing (or at least learn it).
> [...]
>
> Hello, /usr/local...

Should never be used.

> > Then they should be updated.
>
> We just don't live in the  same world.

Maybe.

> Keep living in your narrow-minded world where users are not allowed
> to compile themselves software and where all systems are up-to-date.

I never said this. I dont want to forbid them anything. But as soon
as you're beginning to compile and install packages on yourself,
you're leaving the user role, and you should know what you're doing.
(or do it on some safe playgound).

> In my real world, I have users that are running very old distro and
> that cannot upgrade it nightly while everything works perfectly
> ans just need to test the software on a preprod system before
> trying to package it.

These users should know what they're doing, or learn it, or call
someone who knows it. Otherwise they run into great chance to
shoot down their own systems.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666