Re: /usr/share/info/dir.gz if install-info is installed

* Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <sebastian@breakpoint.cc> [100914 13:45]:
> Sounds reasonable. However sometimes package maintainer argueue that the
> policy says "clean build environment" and having package X intalled is
> no longer clean (thus I have a problem and buildds do not).

A package more installed is not a unclean build environment, only a
non-minimal. Otherwise how do you explain that there is a Build-conflict
field?

Packages not building in a real environment is a serious problem for our
infrastructure. Having some extremely special build environment for your
software betrays one of the most important principles of free software:
Every user is a possible developer and should be enabled to hack on it.
The easy solution is to allow packages to be build in any clean
environment (i.e. a normal Debian system with no 3rd party stuff
installed and no absurd changes). Requiring users to use tools to create
an artifical work environment is bad enough and might be made only bad
and not totally unacceptable by easy to use tools (and while those are
good enough for a DD now I still think they are still inacceptable
complex for non-DDs). But real work usually needs some partial compile,
taking a look at the messages, doing changes, resuming compile, and so
on. Doing this effectively in a minimal environment will already be
beyond the capabilities of most DDs, not even to speak about regular
users.

I thus hope more buildds will install packages like install-info to make
sure we do not ship buggy packages (How about adding that to some fast
ones like i386 and amd64?).

	Bernhard R. Link