Re: why are there /bin and /usr/bin...

]] "Perry E. Metzger"

| In the embedded space, which I know a lot about, it is true that the
| root FS is on flash or other expensive media -- but it isn't like /usr
| is on cheaper media in such an environment, it is always part of the
| root fs anyway, so it makes no difference.

Take a look at the N900 where most of the user-installed applications
are on /home (well, /opt, but that's a symlink to /opt/home), which is a
32GB eMMC flash, while the root file system is a 256MB NAND flash, which
is vastly more expensive.  So while the situation you are describing
might be common, it's not always true.

| I have no actual expectation that anyone is going to change how this
| is done, because /usr is so heavily ingrained in people's experience
| of Unix even though it is an onion.

What I'd like to see happen here is that having /usr a symlink to /
becoming a supported configuration.  I keep meaning to set up a system
like that and see what breaks, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Tollef Fog Heen