Re: Debug output etc, cluttering the terminal

Hello,

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:59:50 +0200
> Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> what is the reason that many applications clutter the terminal with
>> output that is obvisously debug output?
>
> It's debug output, it is useful when debugging and you need the output,
> e.g. when fixing bugs and the user can just be asked to run the command
> from the terminal and post the output to help in debugging the bug
> report. Generally, the debug output for a particular release tends to
> reflect the issues which upstream were working on most intensively
> before that release and therefore can have a direct impact on the
> likelihood of new bugs or regressions in old bugs.
>
> It's not clutter. If you don't want to see it, run the command and
> redirect stderr.
I agree with your opinion about the usefulness of debug output. And -as one
might guess- I disagree with your opinion about  how debug output should be
handled. Do Debian distribute programmes to its user base, that are
still in debug phase? Aren't debug switches sold anymore? One can forget
to switch debug output off. That's no biggy, mistakes happen. But have
it switched on per default is strange and embarassing.

Regards
hmw

--
biff4emacsen - A biff-like tool for (X)Emacs
http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/biff4emacsen/biff4emacsen.html