Re: status of /etc/environment?

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 08:06:40PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Christoph Anton Mitterer]
> > Just wondered about the status of /etc/environment...

> > It seems that this belongs to libpam... but is no longer created an
> > deprecated or at least for providing local information, right?

> Debian Edu use it to set the global proxy settings.  It is created
> during installation and for Squeeze will be updated when DHCP replies
> arrives.

> Is there an alternative for setting environment variables for all
> processes?

It's actually a bug that /etc/environment is no longer created by default;
it was previously created for us on install by d-i because it was used for
locales, but since it was determined that this wasn't the right place for
locale settings, pam itself should create it on installation.

It's certainly ok for Debian Edu to use this file - just bear in mind that
not every process on the system has a corresponding PAM session.  (This was
why locales were moved out of that file, after all.)