Re: why are there /bin and /usr/bin...

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> wrote:
> The FHS says mkfs.* have to be on the root filesystem. I'm not entirely clear
> why this is.

Well, I personally believe this holds for at least two of the purposes
listed in FHS Chapter 3:
* To enable recovery and/or repair of a system
* To restore a system

To recover a damaged filesystem you need to be able to create a new one:
either to copy files away from the (partially) damaged filesystem - i.e.
recovery, or to restore a backup to it.

Btw... the FHS says:
	The following files, or symbolic links to files, must be in
	/sbin if the corresponding subsystem is installed:
	mkfs.*   Command to build a specific filesystem (optional)

Is the following worth submitting a bug then or does this conform to the
"symbolic link" clause?
	/sbin/mkfs.ntfs -> /usr/sbin/mkntfs

regards
   Mario
--
Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.