Re: Are binary packages required to be built from the corresponding source files?

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> In other words, not building from source every time is not, in itself,
> a Policy violation. What's a Policy violation is shipping binaries
> that we *can't* build from source.

Yes, that better expresses my own understanding. Thanks for clarifying.

> (Please note: it may still be a normal bug to not build from source
> every time. Personally, I think in most situations it probably is. Not
> every normal bug in packages is spelled out in Policy, or can be.)

Right. That's a somewhat separate issue from the one in the bug report
that prompted this thread; but it's still worth considering that issue.

--
 \     “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do |
  `\        it from religious conviction.” —Blaise Pascal (1623–1662), |