Re: RFH: How to compile swf files from source

[Peter Samuelson]
> Source code is a means to an end.  The end is the ability of the end
> user to customize the software.  If you get source code but no way to
> build a new .swf file from it, this end is not served.

Also, I'm a proponent of the idea of always building our packages from
source - just to make sure we actually _can_, thus preserving the
principle above.  I think it is a valuable service to the end-user to
express the build process using Build-Depends and debian/rules.  They
don't need to say "OK, I fixed this bug or typo or whatever, now how do
I recompile it?"  They don't need to wonder whether it's even
_possible_ to rebuild what they've changed (without, for example, going
out and buying some non-free tool).

...However, my view is a bit controversial; a lot of people think there
should be exceptions for certain categories of generated files, like
those output by the autotools.  I don't see why, except for historical
inertia, but there it is.