Re: When and how can we migrate out of CVS and WML ? (Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users)

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:19:47PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> 	Hi!
>
> * Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> [2010-07-29 16:53:18 CEST]:
>
>  Rewriting everything from scratch would include losing translation
> effort which is very huge. I actually don't welcome changes that tell
> our translators technicly: "Thanks for your effort so far, but we throw
> it all away."
>
>  About change of VCS - there are (minor) efforts going on with respect
> to try out wether git would work as backend. Any help is of course
> appreciated, in any direction. I would welcome any change too, but to
> some degree that sentence has the sounding of "if someone else does it"
> added to it.
I don't really mind switching from CVS to git, or remaining on CVS for
that matter.  I prefer git but it really is not that big an issue.

>  As about moving away from WML: I am open for something that offers us
> also the needed flexibility for pulling in automated information and
> doesn't put too much burden onto our translators.
WML is the only one where I've seen those language slices.  It seems
to do its job rather well though I am aware of kludges within the
website backend to do its stuff at times.

The problem with replacing WML is; what do you replace it with? and will
it bring any real benefit?

Admitedly for my own pages I've moved away from wml in places but that's
because I'm using smarty AND I'm using that for different reasons to
what the website needs.

 - Craig

--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au