Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

6, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:32:49 -0400, Will <ay1244@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Additionally, an HTTP interface to reportbug would be a good idea.
>>Many new users find it difficult or unnecessary to set up an MTA when
>>they first install, so allowing to use some kind of HTTP interface
>>would be very nice indeed.
>
> This will decrease the quality of bugs even more since the bug reports
> are not going to contain even the minimum of information collected by
> reportbug.
>
> Greetings
> Marc
> --

I said HTTP interface. I did not say web interface. I have not
commented on making a web frontend to the BTS. I was suggesting using
HTTP as an alternative transport mechanism since it would require less
configuration on the user's part. Any GUI bug reporter/reportbug could
transmit information to the BTS via HTTP, and it would be easy to slap
a web frontend on top of that if people so desired. It would
definitely easier than building one off of the SMTP interface we have
currently.

--
-Will Orr