Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

Magnus Berg <debianjunkmail@burgsvik.se> writes:

> And you wonder: "How to make Debian more attractive for users". :-)

> First thing: Average Linux user may not be very interested in spam
> hunting.  Second thing: If you intend to be attractive for the average
> Linux user - Ubuntu users for instance - keep in mind that most users
> want a user friendly, easy to use distro, with helpful and understanding
> crew. If you intend to keep on working with computer nerds in mind you
> will never be attractive for the average Linux user.

A bug report is a conversation.  If the user doesn't want to be
contactable, I would strongly prefer they not file a bug report at all,
since frequently I won't be able to do anything about it without having
that conversation.

> You chose

I tend towards Ian's position on this.  I don't think enabling more,
lower-quality, unrepliable bug reports is going to make Debian any better
or any more user-friendly than it is now.  I have plenty of high-quality
bug reports from contactable people to work on already.

I think you're chasing the wrong problem.