Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users

(CCing OP, assuming he isn't subscribed)

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 05:05:19PM +0100, Russell Gadd wrote:
> I spotted this topic in Debian Project News. I am a non-technical Debian
> user (Lenny AMD 64 bit)   - I have tried Ubuntu a couple of times but came
> back to Debian because of its stability. The main problem I have is lack of
> up to date Flash in the browser (Iceweasel) and I think this is a common
> problem with other users. I have to resort to using  Microsoft Windows
> sometimes as Flash is being used more and more by websites. Maybe it's a
> Linux problem not just Debian - I don't know, but it is frustrating.
>
> Anything you could do to resolve this would be very welcome.

The sad part is that Flash, at least the original one from Adobe, is
proprietary and closed source software, and official updates and fixes
happen at the will of the company; and with most other proprietary
software, stepmotherly treatment for Linux is the norm when it comes
to updates, whether it is for features or fixes. Unless and until a "free" version
of Flash comes out/one of the existing ones become much more usable,
it is unlikely that this situation will change.

> I hope this email is of some help to you, but you do not need to acknowledge
> or reply to this email. Please accept my thanks to you and your colleagues
> for all the tremendous work you do for the Debian community.

Thank you. Good user feedback, bug reports and participation in the
community helps Debian a lot as well.

Kumar