Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On 07/22/2010 02:46 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> and there is another point, I would like to mention.
>
> The naming of the repository is not well chosen, as it let new and
> unexperienced people to debian feel a wrong way. The names "stable" "testing"
> and "unstable" let the poeople think, debian is using crippled software, which
> is unstable, not well tested. In fact, even software from "unstable" is often
> running better, than other (including closed source) software.
>
> I suggest for this, to thinlk about other names, for example
>
> - stable = server
>
> - testing = desktop
>
> - unstable = super_modern

So all the OMGTHISISCOOL kids install unstable and have a messed up system
because there is something broken in unstable? Thats probably the worst example
for a renaming ever.

> Just an example.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Hans-J. Ullrich
>
> Just an example

 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
                   ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F