Re: constantly usable testing

On 23/07/10 at 09:16 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Jo, 22 iul 10, 22:51:32, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 03:10:16PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > I've noticed that linking to this page seems to kill threads, which is
> > > not my intent, but: http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/debian/cut/
> > >
> > > The idea still seems reasonable to me, and the work required, beyond
> > > what is already done, not too much. Shame that nobody has tried to do it
> > > yet.
> >
> > I've always found CUT to be an interesting (thought) experiment.
> >
> > A particular nice feature of how you present it, is that it's modular
> > enough to be tried with little impact on the rest of Debian; as you
> > observe: « most of which [needed ingredients] are already being done on
> > a best-effort basis ».  So, in principle, nothing stops you or anyone
> > else to actually form a CUT team and experiment with the idea.  That's
> > probably the only way forward from CUT-is-a-thread-killer to have data
> > that support the feasibility / user appreciation of the idea.
>
> For me it's quite obvious that CUT would happen if the relevant teams:
> (Security, Release, d-i, ...) would have enough manpower.

It depends on the implementation of CUT. One way to see it would be like
Joey's idea, improving the current testing suite.

Another way to see it would be as a distinct suite (similar to Raphael
Hertzog's Working suite, described in his 2002 DPL platform -
http://www.debian.org/vote/2002/platforms/raphael#release1).  Then we
would have "release managers" for this suite as well, similar to the
"testing release managers", who would work on keeping this suite in a
good shape according to a slightly different set of criterias than the
testing RM.

L.