Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
> On Thursday 22 July 2010 23:51:10 Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Testing's primary purpose is as a staging ground for the next
> > release; while it'd be nice to try to keep it working as a fully
> > installable version all of the time, progress to the next release
> > is more important than that.
>
> And that's exactly my point while such valuable people as Russ
> Allbery wants to challenge that notion.

I have no argument against extending testing using CUT or similar, but
it cannot come at the expense of preparation for the next stable
release. [And indeed, while CUT proposes to provide a constantly
installable version of Debian, it specifically allows dropping buggy
packages from testing, precisely as we are doing now.]

All of that said, I think there are enough people who are interested
in extending testing to organize themselves and make it happen. [I for
one don't have the time to do so myself, but I certainly have no
problem making whatever changes to the BTS are necessary to make it
all work.]

Don Armstrong

--
[On a trip back from collecting grass seeds in tropical bird stomachs
and being thought by the customs agents to be transporting Marijuana.]