Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Thu July 22 2010 11:28:49 Neil Williams wrote:
> Removing packages from testing does not remove them from any existing
> installation, so it's hard to see how the removal of packages which are
> plainly not suitable for release in stable supports an assertion that
> testing is somehow not intended for real users.

Real users have to be able to recreate a dead system or install
new systems at any time.

We actually have a few Testing packages (e.g. WordPress) in our
mostly-Stable servers and we backup copies of those Testing packages
both on-site and off-site against the vagaries of the Testing masters.

We used to use Testing for desktops and laptops, but the hassle
of disappearing packages was not worth it.  In practice this means we
cannot use Debian on most desktops and laptops until the hardware is
about a year old.  There's seldom any point in changing distros then
although I'm actually using Mostly-Stable on my own laptop so that it
matches our servers.

Mostly-Stable is great for (most) servers though.

--Mike Bird