Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

Chris Jackson <c.jackson@shadowcat.co.uk> writes:

> I might ask, however, how are you serving *nix admins? A lot easier
> bunch to please with Linux I think. I for one have delisted (for the
> moment anyway) Debian for our server installations after Lenny, because
> I don't like the way it's headed, and I know a number of people who
> agree with me.

Could you summarize or point me at the specific concerns that you had
which led to this decision?

> But take a look back at what happens if a system admin complains about
> something. There's a lot of "it ain't going to happen" "you'll have to
> maintain that yourself". It's not exactly welcoming to make one's
> opinion known.

A standard problem with open source projects, unfortunately, but I do try
not to say that in bug reports while still giving an accurate estimate of
the likelihood of a particular issue being fixed in the near future
without some sort of other resources being brought to bear.