Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On 20/07/2010 14:41, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
The number of submissions to the Debian popularity-contest collector
is falling, and has done so for some time now.  This can be easily
seen on<URL: http://popcon.debian.org/stat/sub-i386.png>.

This is mostly caused by a fall in the number of Lenny installations,
as can be seen from

Anyone got any idea how to can get more machines to report to
popcon.debian.org?  Or can there be some other problem causing the
fall in the number of submissions?

Speaking of my own experience: I always install it, except on test machines where the results would be futile anyway. However, having done this for years, I now wonder every time I see the installer question whether there's any point, since I never see any feedback.

Maybe making results more visible could improve adoption?

A simple link to http://popcon.debian.org/ in the installer? (or is there one already? I don't remember, sorry)

A script to display statistics about one's own system, packages used last week, packages not used for >3 months, most used packages, popular packages we're not using, etc?

Maybe a simple stats report every week/month/trimester, giving out details about most popular new packages, packages "losing popularity", top 10, etc? (as an opt-in mailing list, or similar)

Just some ideas :)

Jonathan
Jonathan Clarke - jonathan@phillipoux.net
Ldap Synchronization Connector (LSC) - http://lsc-project.org