Re: packages being essential but having stuff in /usr/?!

[Christoph Anton Mitterer]
> As far as I understand - please correct me if I'm wrong - the root-fs is
> just guaranteed, to have /bin/, /sbin and /lib, right? Neither /var
> nor /opt.
> What about /etc?

The root file system need to have /etc/, yes, as well as the others.
Do not have the complete list available, but those you mention need to
be there.  /var/ is not required to be on the root file system, but
must be available after the $local_fs point during boot.

> Also, right after the init system starts, neither /proc, nor /dev,
> nor /sys are there, right?

This depends on what the initrd did.

> Would it be a good idea, to add new virtual facilities like $dev,
> $proc or so?

Probably not.  The early boot is so special anyway, and consist of so
few packages that there advantage of trying to generalize is probably
outweighted by the effort to implenent it.  The effort with init.d
scripts should instead be on moving scripts out of rcS.d/ into
rc[1-5].d/, to improve single user mode and increase concurrency
during boot.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen