Re: [RFC] removing xserver-xorg-video-nv from squeeze

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> (13/07/2010):
> Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Care to share a reference to the bug you reported?
> As Sven Joachim has pointed out, this would be an exercise in
> futility.  Upstream deliberately removed support for UMS a while
> ago.

Guess what, I *know*. And I didn't ask for an UMS-related bug
reference.

> From their point of view, this is not a bug, this is a "feature".
> And that's why I use the nv driver.

No need to repeat yourself.

> Is KMS supposed to work with custom video modes?  Is the nouveau
> driver supposed to work with custom video modes?  If so, then
> perhaps it would be worthwhile to file a bug report.  Otherwise,
> it's a waste of time.

What about you stop wasting everybody's time asking questions instead
of reaching for an answer? From nouveau's website[1], [2] is one click
away.

 1. http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/
 2. http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting

> As of xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.1-4, which is current in
> Squeeze, and for the i915G chipset, I can still pass
>
>    modeset=0
>
> to the i915 module and the X driver will still work.  Are you saying
> that this is going to be taken away from me too?  Oh joy!

If you read what I pointed to in my first mail, you should be able to
figure out.

> [bla bla bla, the world hates you, bla bla bla]

> Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Mraw,
> > KiBi.
>
> If this is supposed to mean something, perhaps you'll be kind enough
> to share it with me.  A search of Internet slang did not yield any
> results that made sense to me in this context.

Never heard any cat?

Mraw,
KiBi.