Re: RFA: a lot of packages

Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> writes:
> Although I cannot take on sole maintainership, I'm interested in the
> survival of the best VNC server and client in Debian.  If a team can
> be put together, I would be happy to contribute in what small ways I
> can.

I'm a daily user of vnc4server/xvnc4viewer 4.1.1+X4.3.0-31. Please let
me know if you need help in testing :-)

> What about eventual replacement by TigerVNC (http://tigervnc.org/),
> since upstream for that fork is actually active?

realvncserver, tightvncserver and vnc4server all seem to contain an
embedded copy of xfree/Xorg source code. If tigerVNC's Xorg module
actually works this sounds really promising. Any idea why it is not
developed in the Xorg tree? Is it still because Xorg does not want
GPL'd code?

The only earlier attempt on a modular Xorg vnc module I've heard about
is xf4vnc: http://xf4vnc.sourceforge.net/modular.html -- How does this
compare against TigerVNC?