Re: Automatically installing hardware specific packages

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:23:54 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Julien Cristau]
> > We did something like that in lenny (not in the Packages file, but
> > same basic idea), to get X to choose the right driver.  It turns out
> > it's a pain to maintain, and doesn't really work all that well.
> Why was it a pain to maintain?
> I can imagine it is a pain if there is no automatic way to extract the
> supported ids from the source code (like it is/was with X).  But if it
> is possible to extract it automatically like is done with kernel
> modules, I believe it should not be too hard.
The pci ids were extracted from the source code with awk or sed or
whatever.  They were also wrong, because things like matching for a
range of chips [0] or looking for the actual chip id in mmio space
[1] weren't taken into account.

[0] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-nv/tree/src/nv_driver.c#n798
[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-nv/tree/src/nv_driver.c#n717