Re: Bindv6only once again

Dear Juliusz,

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 01:58:30 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to raise the issue of #560238 once again.
>
> In netbase 4.38, Marco d'Itri has unilaterally decided to change the
> value of the net.ipv6.bindv6only sysctl to 1.  This change has the
> following effects:
>
>  (1) it violates POSIX 2008, Volume 2, Section 2.10.20;
>  (2) it violates RFC 3493, Section 5.3;
>  (3) it breaks software that is written to comply to POSIX, most notably
>      Sun's Java.
>
> Now, violating POSIX when there is good reason to do sois not something
> Debian should shy from -- that's what we have POSIXLY_CORRECT for.
> However, I don't think that such a decision should be taken lightly, and
> certainly not without at least some discussion and advance warning.

There was discussion on this list before the change, and then more after
the change.  And Marco said he was going to reconsider the issue at the
time of the squeeze freeze.  So if you want that to happen faster, I
suggest you get started on fixing a few of the release critical bugs
that may delay said freeze from happening.

I'm hoping the change will be reverted in the end, but in the mean time
I'm tired of the rehashing of the same arguments here.

Cheers,
Julien