Re: MAKEDEV, postinst and udev

On Jun 09, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> This works well in most cases but if you're using udev when installing the
> package, MAKEDEV will not be called and the device has no chance to be
> created on the on-disk filesystem. If you later remove udev, you will have
> a broken system since the device won't be present.
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Then stop doing it.

If you remove udev then you are on your own.

> 1/ udev to keep mounting the on-disk /dev on /dev/.static/dev
I removed this in 0.124-1, before lenny, and it will not be back.

> In any case, I would like the result of this discussion to be summarized
> in a README.Debian in makedev at the very least and possibly in the Debian
makedev has extra priority and is not installed by default, it does not
matter anymore.

> Note that debian-installer was trying to do well and was mounting
> the underlying /target/dev as /target/dev/.static/dev but the current code
> is not working (see #585133).
This code should be removed.

--
ciao,