Re: new lilo package maintainer? (was lilo removal in squeeze or please test grub2)

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:33:52 -0400 (EDT), Holger Levsen wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> thanks for stepping up maintaining lilo in Debian! I hope you'll manage this
> well.

Um, thanks; but I don't understand the reassignment of bug number 505609 to
package initramfs-tools.  If you read my previous posts to the bug log, it
is clear that this problem started with a change to the maintainer scripts
between Etch and Lenny.  Please read my posts again carefully.  Then consider
whether this is really a bug in initramfs-tools or a bug in the kernel maintainer
scripts.  initramfs-tools only gets involved when

   update-initramfs -u

is issued.  And it *does* invoke the boot loader under these conditions, if
"do_bootloader = yes" is present in /etc/kernel-img.conf and lilo is installed.
But for a kernel install or reconfigure, it is the responsibility of the
kernel maintainer scripts to invoke the bootloader.  See also, for example,
linux-image-2.6.26-2-s390.postinst, where zipl is assigned as the bootloader
on line 38.  This really is an "open and shut case", if only I can the kernel
people to actually look at it!  Please look at it!

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :