Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:08:21AM +0100, Chris Carr wrote:
> On 25/05/2010 10:00, Harald Braumann wrote:
>> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:39:52PM -0500, William Pitcock wrote:
>>> (4) Users need to test grub2 now.
>>
>> I've been using grub2 for quite some time now on several different
>> systems with mixed success.
> [snip]
>> Because of this, coupled with the many open bugs and the lack of
>> documentation, I'm not sure if grub2 is ready to be released to the
>> unsuspecting public.
>
> Just to add my 2p, I have had significant, foreseeable, nonunique
> problems with grub2 on several machines (#495433, #508405, #518835 are
> merely the ones I reported). I would agree with Harald's assessment that
> grub2 is not ready.
>
> It appears from this thread that the maintainer status of grub2 is
> little better than that of lilo. It is therefore difficult to understand
> an argument in favour of removing lilo on the basis of a lack of
> maintainer(s), as that would also apply to grub2.

If it wasn't obvious from the grub-pc bug list already, I have to echo this
sentiment, sadly. So far, grub2 package has been pretty much all trouble on
both non-trivial configurations I've tried - #548648, #557425. I've also
tried converting a system where I have LILO booting / off an LVM volume of
a very large device, but that simply wasn't supported at all, upstream.
(Some googling just now leads me to believe that this might possibly be fixed
nowadays, but that still doesn't make it release-quality software.)

So all this "lilo needs to die now, everyone quickly get grub2" talk does
look a fair bit premature. Cynics might say amateurish or worse, YMMV.
grub2 won't magically get better if we just throw more users at it.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.