Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On 25/05/2010 10:00, Harald Braumann wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:39:52PM -0500, William Pitcock wrote:
(4) Users need to test grub2 now.

I've been using grub2 for quite some time now on several different
systems with mixed success.
[snip]
Because of this, coupled with the many open bugs and the lack of
documentation, I'm not sure if grub2 is ready to be released to the
unsuspecting public.

Just to add my 2p, I have had significant, foreseeable, nonunique problems with grub2 on several machines (#495433, #508405, #518835 are merely the ones I reported). I would agree with Harald's assessment that grub2 is not ready.

It appears from this thread that the maintainer status of grub2 is little better than that of lilo. It is therefore difficult to understand an argument in favour of removing lilo on the basis of a lack of maintainer(s), as that would also apply to grub2.

Given the importance of a reliable boot loader and the severity and urgency of any significant bugs in one, it is no surprise that volunteer maintainers are hard to find. Would it be sensible to consider creating a "boot loader" team to maintain one or more boot loaders, instead of waiting for individuals to step up?

CC