Re: Archive area for clamz (Amazon MP3 downloader)

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 08:09:52PM +0200, Felix Geyer wrote:
> On 30.05.2010 04:47, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I think the policy being applied is that if a package is only useful in
> > conjunction with non-free data, it belongs in contrib (just as if it
> > depends on some non-free library).
> >

> Many applications use downloaded non-free content.
> For example applications that display weather information,
> lyrics or album covers.
> Should they all be moved to contrib?

The difference is that those tools provide a reasonable level of
functionality with free data.  Weather information is in the public
domain because there's no originality to it.  Most programs that display
lyrics or album covers are music players, and there is free music
(available in our archive, no less) that they can usefully play.

> A very similar software is already in Debian main:
> Amarok contains two plugins that are able to download/stream
> music from Magnatune and MP3tunes; both are music stores.

Amarok also plays music quite well without those.  I never use Magnatune
or MP3tunes.  Also, there are free Ogg Vorbis files in our archive that
can be played with Amarok.  It is irrelevant that all *I* use it for is
playing music that I've bought on CD; there is a significant amount of
free material that can be used instead.