Re: RFH: bashisms in configure script

> dash recently added support for the magic variable $LINENO, which was
> the last piece to make it POSIX compliant. However, this change made the
> autoconf- generated configure scripts use dash to execute the script's
> code. Without support for LINENO, configure scripts exec to bash
> automatically.

Isn't it a bit late in the release cycle for a change with such a major
impact?

> An archive-wide check of the source packages gives an estimate of over
> 3425 source packages with bashisms in *any file*.

This and the file under [2] must contain a *huge* amount of false
positives.

For example, almost all udebs are listed. Why? Because udebs execute
busybox shell as /bin/sh, which happens to be fairly compatible with bash.

I think this needs to be trimmed quite a bit before it's useful.

Cheers,
FJP