Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

Hello,

On 05/23/2010 03:44 PM, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Darren Salt <linux@youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Working fine here on i386, whether booting a stock kernel (testing with
>> 2.6.33 from experimental) or a custom kernel. I've not checked a stock kernel
>> on amd64 for some time now, but I've seen no problems with my custom kernels
>> (which are all initrd-free).
>>
> No problems to report on amd64 either, with or without an initrd.

this Grub thingy is something really tough to explain to migrators.
The worst is that while the boot prompt works, one loses the console
all too easily and does not get it back. And google says one should
edit files here and there to keep the gfxpayload.

Yes, I did all that. But I did not want to do that. And then I lost it
again at some later update.

Since the console is the entry to most newbies, whatever you do,
make it as easy as possible. If that is not possible, then please
leave LILO in.

Thanks

Steffen (who accepted to have lost his Console, no ALT-F1 any more)