Re: Too much disruptive NMUs

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 06:33:41PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 19:20:42 +0200
> Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Either it's a QA upload or it's a NMU, but it can't be "a bit of
> > both".
> >
> > If the package is effectively not maintained anymore, it's up to the
> > MIA team to investigate and eventually decide to orphan the package.
>
> Do we have to wait for the MIA team or is a complete lack of response
> to a request to NMU in the BTS sufficient reason for someone who is
> interested in the package to file the bug to orphan the package
> themselves? As long as someone is interested in the package, shouldn't
> an email to the MIA team be sufficient? Someone has to be fairly
> interested in a package to consider an NMU in the first place.

I don't think that one or two mails to the BTS are sufficient to declare
a maintainer MIA and thus do all kinds of QA stuff on their packages,
regardless if those contacts have been NMU requests or whatever. On the
other hand, I acknowledge the problem that the MIA process sometimes
takes so much time, the interested NMUer even looses interest again.

Anyway, a mail to MIA is highly appreciated. Not that we can do much
more but at least we can note that as another contact attempt which
*can* lead to faster processing after all.

> Does the MIA team take note of the WNPP reports of recently orphaned
> packages or is there a chance that an inactive maintainer whose only
> package is orphaned and then uploaded using QA, could drop off the
> radar of the MIA team? (Leaving the key in place but no packages.)

There isn't enough manpower to do archive wide checks. I do from time to
time random checks, one of which being for maintainers without packages.
They are interesting to us as we have DDs who work as e.g. porters but
don't have packages. But as Lucas said, this is basically DAM's work.

> > This kind of NMUs don't help; they just help the unmaintained stuff
> > fly below the MIA radar longer.
>
> Agreed - so in addition to my last email, a QA upload like this, IMHO,
> should make sure that the MIA team are aware. I'd assume that, once
> contacted, the MIA team would be happy for the package to be adopted
> whilst the rest of the MIA process goes ahead.

Of course we are happy for every orphaned package to be adpoted. I,
personally, am not happy about packages being hijacked after one
unanswered NMU mail to the BTS. There are maintainers who really took
some time off without telling anyone. It's not good but it happens, and
we shouldn't take their packages away for one such mistake.

Hauke

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de
: :'  :  Debian Developer                                 www.debian.org