Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On Monday 10 May 2010 09:24:59 Steve Langasek wrote:
> And you don't have to use an initramfs; the same result could be achieved
> with a shim init on the root filesystem that does nothing but set up the
> SELinux context correctly and then exec upstart.

That's what I did years ago when we first stopped making the SE Linux kernel
code load the policy from disk (kernel code isn't supposed to access files).  I
had a shim named /sbin/init which loaded the policy (if necessary) and then
executed init.  Of course that shim was run every time you ran "telinit u"
which was a minor annoyance.

Another possible way of running it was to use the init=/sbin/shiminit option
when booting the kernel, but some boot loaders (such as that of the Cobalt
Qube I used for testing) made that unreasonably difficult.  Diverting init and
changing the boot loader are both things it's best to avoid if possible.