Re: SRWare Iron: Chromium without the data-mining

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:39:00PM -0400, Ryan Oram wrote:
> >From the Ubuntu mailing list, in case of you aren't subscribed there:
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Dane Mutters <dmutters@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think some of you would be interested in reading this page that
> > (allegedly) documents some of the (allegedly) somewhat shady
> > beginnings of Iron:
> >
> > http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/notes/2009/12/iron.html
> >
> > If this information is correct, then I heavily question that Iron is a
> > worthwhile project/fork at all, as opposed to being a way to garner
> > publicity and money from fear mongering and (amusingly enough) Google
> > advertisements on their web page.
> >
> > --Dane
>
> I wasn't aware of this when I posted this thread on the mailing list.
> I still feel, however, the suggestion and DNS-prefetching features be
> made opt-in.

opt-in like in the Options dialog ?

"Show suggestions for navigation errors"

"Use a suggestion service to help complete searches and URLs typed in
the address bar"

"Use DNS pre-fetching to improve load performance"

There is even a "learn more" link above all these that points to
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=114836&hl=en

Mike