Re: UPG and the default umask

On 05/17/2010 11:46 AM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> If you need to change for example ssh, to allow an authorized_keys file
> or perhaps even things like ~/.ssh/id_rsa to be group-readable and/or
> writable you actively compromise security, at least for those systems
> which do not use (for whatever reason) UPG.

How does this compromise security when you're the only member of your
private group?

> I guess upstream haven't added that permissions checks just because life
> was so boring, but rather for some specific reason.
> In the case of authorized_keys, I assume, to prevent "social
> attacks".... if you know which people are allowed to access a machine,
> it's much easier to get their keys...

Setting any permission bit on any file on any computer won't protect you
from social engineering, so I fail to see where you're going with your
argument.

> Or do I understand the idea behind 581919 wrongly?

581919 was created, because the write bit should be set on the ~/.ssh/
directory, and contents, seeing as though Debian is a UPG-based
operating system. The only user of the private group is the owner of the
file itself. This was the reason for 314347, as SVN was behaving
unexpectedly. Thus, a regression.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O