Re: UPG and the default umask

On 5/10/2010 1:07 PM, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> I still makes sense. The user will not win with the lazier umask but he
> will probably loose security.
>
> See the case the user wants another person in his own group to share
> files. Then he might set the files readable for his group only but not
> for world. So the other user can read this data. But he cannot write it
> as it might be intended.
>
> Setting the umask to 002 let the other user _edit_ all files the user
> did create in the past with that umask factual giving away most of his
> files.

The point of UPG is to not put users you don't trust in your private
group. That's why it's called "private". :) If you don't trust users in
your UPG, then the administrator should setup a different group, and put
the necessary users in that group.

> The better Idea would be to set the user mask to 027 which then add a
> new value of security.
>
> If a user want the group to have write permissions this should be set
> explicit. By the way, with zsh you can make directory profiles which
> set the umask depending on the directory.

I'm all for increasing security, but it always comes at a cost. Nothing
in security is free. In this case, the convenience of setting up group
collaboration directories becomes a pain to administer, as the group
write bit is never set, and cron jobs, profile-specific umask values, or
FACLs are used instead, adding to the complexity of the system.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O