Re: Libreadline6 is GPLv3: incompatible with GPLv2-only software

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:32:36 -0400
James Y Knight <foom@fuhm.net> wrote:

> After checking a scattering of random packages, I happened across
> one example of this already in Debian testing: socat. It is
> GPLv2-only, and is linked against GPLv3 libreadline6 in testing.
> (filed bug 579494).

Umm:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/s/socat/current/copyright

the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
your option) any later version.

I'm not saying other packages might not still be affected but this one
is OK.

The README you mention only describes "GNU GPL":
http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/doc/README

Tests for this kind of thing are quite a lot of work because you need
to download the entire source and run something like licensecheck or
check the COPYING file in the source - which is GPLv2 or (at your
option) any later version.

I think 579494 should be closed.

--

Neil Williams