Re: bindv6only again

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> On Monday 26 April 2010 18:30:29 Matthew Johnson wrote:
> > Default does not mean "only permittable". If POSIX allows it to be
> > set to either value, then no matter what the _default_ is, not
> > coping with either is a bug.
>
> Default: a selection automatically used by a computer program in the absence
> of a choice made by the user.
>
> Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/default
>
> Can you post your definition of the word "default" and your source?
> Because if we don't speak the same language we aren't going to
> understand each other.

There's no conflict here. The definition quoted says nothing about
default meaning "only permittable", exactly as Matthew claims above.

If the software doesn't work properly when either of the permissible
values is set when it is possible for the software to handle either
value correctly, the software is buggy. It may not be a bug that you
rush to fix, but it certainly is one.

If the upstream maintainer doesn't want to apply patches necessary to
work properly with either value set, that's their purview, but it
doesn't make the software non-buggy in Debian.

Don Armstrong

--
LEADERSHIP -- A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with
autodestructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to