Re: Default value of net.ipv6.bindv6only should revert to 0

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 09:04:18PM +0900,
 Kazuo Oishi <oishi@giraffy.jp> wrote
 a message of 48 lines which said:

> Anyone, could you teach me why net.ipv6.bindv6only need to be set
> to 1 globally, and why other good programs need to be changed?
> I think it should revert.

I do not claim to have a final opinion on this matter except that, as
a programmer, net.ipv6.bindv6only=0 is clearly simpler, a listening
program has just to open one (IPv6) socket and it is version-agnostic.

The question has recently been discussed in the Go language community:

http://groups.google.com/group/golang-nuts/msg/861dbe3c7f1aae1d
http://code.google.com/p/go/issues/detail?id=679

Go libraries currently fail when net.ipv6.bindv6only=1:

http://code.google.com/p/go/issues/detail?id=685