Re: Handling optimization flags in Debian packages

On 04/04/10 16:29, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
Hi all,

I've faced an issue (#557550) which is much probably caused by a CPU which
doesn't support SSE2 instructions. I'm not sure about the best way to address
this. Any suggestion will be very welcome. Actually I can see the following
workarounds:

1) consider that most of CPUs support this flag, so tell the reporter to
compile the package by him/herself.

2) remove this specific flag during package building, ending with a
non-optimized software available for all users.

3) create a specific -sse2 (or -non-sse2) package.

4) ask the upstream to code runtime checks before using SSE2 specific
instructions (is that possible?).

5) Build twice, install both binaries in /usr/lib/package, and ship a wrapper script that calls the appropriate binary depending on the CPU flags.

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler