Re: Handling optimization flags in Debian packages

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org> writes:
> 1) consider that most of CPUs support this flag, so tell the reporter to
> compile the package by him/herself.

This is not acceptable and would make your package rc-buggy. Even though
it's called i386 and in fact only supports i486, we are not in a state
where we want to ditch support for all pre-Pentium 3 CPUs.

> 2) remove this specific flag during package building, ending with a
> non-optimized software available for all users.
> 3) create a specific -sse2 (or -non-sse2) package.
> 4) ask the upstream to code runtime checks before using SSE2 specific
> instructions (is that possible?).
> For now, my choice is #1.

It's not an option, so you will need to do something else.

BOFH #441:
Hash table has woodworm